Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Beliefs and Knowledge

It was discussed in class the difference between beliefs and knowledge and how Omishto perceives them. Omishto views knowledge is what she sees and feels and beliefs are more factual. I think it is important to put in the context that she is 16 years old. While I'm reading the novel I have to remind myself that she isnt an adult but a teenage. Her age affects her beliefs and like any other teen she is trying to find herself while being torn between two worlds. It is hard enough being a teenage but she has extra pressure to fit into two different forms of society that have different beliefs. I feel bad that Omishto has to go through that experience, luckily she has the support of Ama to help her because she doesn't have the support of her mother and sister. However, Omishto is trying to find herself when most people her age don't have to try to figure out their lives and their place in their community.

4 comments:

  1. I think you make a great point on how her age affects her beliefs and knowledge and why her definition of these two things varies from many of our definitions as older, more developed women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is random, but I just read a Disney quote on Kelly's blog at http://kellyswindow.blogspot.com/ ; so I am in the Disney mindframe right now, and your post called one to my brain:

    "Hmph. Teenagers. They think they know everything. You give them an inch, and they swim all over you" --Sebastion in The Little Mermaid

    I actually used that one in my high school valedictorian speech. Maybe I need to grow up. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzy also noted the difference between belief and knowledge in her blog. It is interesting to read both of your interpretations of the meanings of these words! Pin-pointing a specific definition for both knowledge and belief is difficult..so philosophical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The affect of age on beliefs is a very important point in this novel, and i really like how you make that clear. I see it a lot with the younger kids i coach in the summer at my pool and what's more important to them in comparison to what's important to the older kids. For my kids, what's important is having fun and winning ribbons after they swim a race. They're all about having fun at ages 5-8, which i think is lost with the older ones who worry about their time.

    ReplyDelete