Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"This Blessed House"

Is there a pressure to be one identity or another?
Everyone, including Twinkle and Sanjeev, have to deal with the pressure of identifying with different aspects of our lives. I think in different situations and with different people there is pressure for people to identify with certain identities. I feel that when I am with my dad I have to identify with my sports side and talk about sports where as when I am with my mom I feel the need to identify with my more girlie side that enjoys shopping. People adapt to reveal different aspects of themselves when they are with certain people. I think people can do this unconsciously most of the time as a cooping mechanism to blend into their environment. This can seen as a performance by people to change into something that people expect them to be.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that there is always pressure to be one identity or another, however, I do not feel that you always have to choose. I like how you address the fact that people are the main influence on you and are the ones who serves as the greatest sources of pressure towards one direction or another. I addressed a similar issue to this in my own blog with an example from my own life. I just feel that people need to find a balance between their various identities because all of these aspects make up our overall self. Learning to cope with the pressures of persuasion is a challenge, but it only serves to build a stronger foundation for our overall character.

    ReplyDelete