Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Gilman "The Yellow Wallpaper"

Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper" made me a reader feel like I was going through a nervous breakdown. I felt "crazy" when her thoughts would shift within the text. It was like I had the disorder and I knew how she felt, which was one of her goals in reading the short story. It made me uneasy and I had to stop and remind myself that I am not going through a nervous breakdown. Also, after discussion in class I realized how "the rest-cure" actually made her worse and affected this book. The rest cure allowed Gilman to be alone with her thoughts and not with people that could have brought sanity into her life. Therefore the doctor's cure for her could have made her worse. I think that her treatment should have included being outside in nature and with family and friends, experiencing life in a positive "normal' way.

No comments:

Post a Comment